Project was handled by CDB
First published Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Commissioning Services – Stevens Building Addition and Renovation Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Illinois CDB Project #822-010-120
The University, in cooperation with the Illinois Capital Development Board, is seeking a qualified Engineer/Architect/Commissioning Agent to provide full commissioning services for the renovation of the Stevens Building. Upon completion of renovation work, the renovated building must achieve LEED Silver Certification as mandated by the State of Illinois, Public Act 096-0073, effective on 7/24/2009. The Stevens Building is located on the Main Campus of Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois. The building is in the central portion of campus between Carroll Avenue on the east and University Circle Drive on the west.
The Stevens Building is approximately 67,000 gross square feet, and was constructed in 1958-1959. The building houses the School of Theater and Dance, the Anthropology Department, and Anthropology Museum. The renovation will likely include the demolition of the Stevens Annex to make room for the addition of a new lecture hall designed as a state-of-the-art learning environment with a capacity of as many as 400. The Anthropology Museum will be relocated to a different building. Additional space for a new black box theater and scene shop will also be constructed new. The entire building including mechanical and electrical systems will be renovated, updated, and modernized.
The A/E selection process for the renovation work has been completed. The selected A/E and MEP for this renovation project are:
25 South Grove Avenue, Suite 500
Elgin, IL 60120
623 26th Ave.
Rock Island, IL 61201
The Commissioning Agent must be independent of the selected design team and must work with them to achieve optimum sustainability and LEED certification within the established budget and proposed design for renovation.
Qualifications and supporting materials will be accepted below until 5:30 PM, Thursday August 26, 2010:
At the following address:
Thomas L. Wroblewski, Interim Director
Architectural & Engineering Services
Northern Illinois University
100 Stadium Drive
DeKalb, IL 60115
Qualified firms submit five printed copies of their qualification packets and one electronic copy in .pdf format recorded on a Compact Disc(s).
Scope of Services
The Commissioning Agent will be an independent, third-party and will provide services required to achieve LEED Silver Certification as administered by the US Green Building Institute (USGBI). The scope of services will include but may not be limited to:
LEED Project Registration and Application including all Certification fees.
Full Project Documentation:
Monitor and ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of all LEED submittals and documentation.
Design Development Review and Meetings
Construction Document (Plans & Specification) Review and Meetings
Construction Phase Field Inspections, Reviews and Meetings
Start-up and Performance Testing of All Building Systems
O & M Training and Warranty Review
Commissioning Agent Minimum Qualifications
Only those firms which meet the following qualifications will be considered:
- Licensed to practice as an architect, landscape architect, or professional engineer in the State of Illinois.
- Pre-qualified with the State of Illinois Capital Development Board.
- Registered and authorized to do business in the State of Illinois.
- In good standing with the State of Illinois.
- Has registered with the State Board of Elections.
- The firm is a fully independent third-party with no connection to the A/E of record, or any of their consulting engineers.
- Within the firm, the person or persons assigned to work on the project have current LEED Professional Credentials at the LEED AP Building Design + Construction level.
- Utilize an AutoCAD – BIM system fully compatible with the A/E team to provide reviews and services.
Qualified firms must use the current CDB Standard Form 255 for submittal of qualifications. The current SF255 is available on line as a form in the CDB Reference Library: http://www.cdb.state.il.us/CDBWEB.nsf/forms?OpenForm
NOTE: This project will be administered by the State of Illinois Capital Development Board (CDB).
Download and use only the most current CDB Standard Form 255. Information added to CDB Standard Form 255 or supplemental information should not be submitted. If submitted, the additional information will not be used in the review of qualifications.
Please ensure the following are included on the SF255:
- Project team consultants and their specific duties on the project
- Resumes of project team personnel
- Descriptions of similar, previously completed projects
- Current references including names and phone numbers
Submit the following additional information separate from the SF255:
- Letter of introduction and interest in the project
- Evidence of prequalification with the Capital Development Board (CDB)
- Detailed information regarding current workload and availability
- Evidence of MBE/FBE certification with CMS/IDOT
- Evidence of LEED Professional Credentials for the proposed team
- Certification with the State Board of Elections
Only those firms which meet the minimum qualifications will be considered.
A selection committee has been established by the University and the Capital Development Board to review the qualifications of firms that indicate an interest in this project. The committee will evaluate all submittals and recommend the preferred firms based on the following, weighted, evaluation criteria:
- 55% Successful completion of similar LEED Silver Certification and commissioning on similar renovation projects
- 25% CDB and state university experience
- 10% Provided a correct, complete, current and accurate CDB SF255
- 5% Responses of references listed on CDB SF255
- 5% Minority and Female Business Enterprise involvement
Firms with an office located within 100 miles of NIU’s DeKalb Campus are preferred.
Selection will be consistent with the Architectural, Engineering, and Land Surveying Qualifications Based Selection Act (30 ILCS 535/1).