Contractor: Multiple vendors: General Work - Williams Brothers Construction, Inc., Peoria, IL ($16,339,000), Heating - Southern Illinois Piping Contractors, Inc., Carbondale, IL ($715,000), Ventilation - Culbertson Heating & A/C, Vandalia, IL ($891,646), Electrical - F.W. Electric, Inc., Benton, IL ($2,472,930), Plumbing - Litton Enterprises, Marion, IL ($1,421,913), Sprinkler - Premier Fire Protection, Inc., Paducah, KY ($595,200)
Number of unsuccessful, responsive bidders:
A total of $22,435,689
Terms: One-time transaction
The University award process may be delayed up to thirty days as this award goes through a state approval process.
Sealed bids will be accepted at the address below until 2:00 PM, Thursday, June 9, 2005:
The Board of Trustees of
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
hereby requests sealed bids for construction work on the
a new student apartment complex project.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale will be accepting bids for the construction of three each four-story apartment buildings with a combined gross square footage of 158,735 sq. ft. on the Carbondale campus.
The project consists of three new student apartment buildings, with associated parking, utilities, and landscaping.
Each building includes: a public entrance and lobby space with multiple student apartments.
The work includes:
- Site improvements, parking, drives, sidewalks, and utility connections.
- Cast in place concrete pad and strip footings, foundation walls and slabs.
- A structural steel frame supporting cast-in-place concrete slabs on metal floor deck.
- Structural steel roof framing and metal roof deck.
- Asphalt shingle roofing systems.
- Aluminum framed storefront and curtainwall systems with insulated glazing.
Interior construction, including:
- Metal stud and gypsum board partition assemblies.
- Hollow metal door and frame as well as wood door and frame assemblies
- Floor finishes: carpet, resilient sheet goods vinyl, and ceramic tile.
- Ceiling finishes: suspended tile and grid systems and gypsum systems.
- The HVAC air distribution systems for the building shall be modular air handling unit with variable air volume boxes and hot water reheat.
- The facility will be completely sprinklered.
- Plumbing systems are typical of this building type with copper and cast iron piping.
- Roof drainage is external gutters and downspouts.
- Electrical power will be a new underground electrical system from the university?s existing underground high voltage system. The main secondary service will serve the emergency power system.
- HVAC, and lighting will operate at 277/480V, 3 phase. Lighting is a combination of recessed and indirect, fluorescent, recessed down lights and wall sconces.
- Telephone and data systems include conduit, wiring and final connections.
- The fire alarm system consists of manual pull stations, smoke detectors, heat detectors, annunciation, sprinkler monitoring, and evacuation devices and smoke detectors in the HVAC system.
- The building shall have a lighting protection system.
The project shall bid under six separate contracts as listed:
Work associated with this contract should be completed by August 1, 2006. *See bid documents for more information regarding Base Bid and Alternate Bid #10.
All bids must be submitted on the "Request for Quotation" form provided by the Purchasing Department. Faxed bids will not be accepted.
A bid security in a dollar amount equal to 10 percent of the total bid submitted shall accompany each bid in accordance with the bid documents. An indemnity (performance) bond will be required in the amount equal to 100 percent of the accepted bid will be required from the successful contractor.
Each bidder must have a current Illinois Department of Human Rights number.
All bidders must pay employees involved with construction on this project not less than the prevailing wage rate.
Southern Illinois University reserves the right to reject any or all bids and to waive any informalities in the bid process and to accept bids which, in its judgment will be in its own best interest.
Current certificates of insurance must be supplied with the University required minimum limits for general liability, automobile liability and Worker''s Compensation. General contractors bidding this project must also supply builders risk insurance for the entire project.
Bids shall be held firm and may not be withdrawn for a period of 90 calendar days from the date of receipt.
Drawings and specifications will be on file for reference at the following locations:
McGraw Hill Construction
6330 Knox Industrial Drive, Suite 100
St. Louis, MO 63139
Southern Illinois Builders Association
1468 Green Mount Road
O'Fallon, IL 62269
National Construction News
1133 West Mill Rd
Evansville, IN 47710
Western Kentucky Construction Association
2201 McCracken Blvd
Paducah, KY 42001
Southern Illinois Builders Association
504 West Jackson Avenue
Marion, IL 62959
Sealed envelopes containing the bids will be marked a new student apartment complex.
Bids will be received up to the hour of
local time, on
Thursday, June 9, 2005.
Immediately after closing time for receiving bids, they will be opened publicly and read.
All bids must include:
- Bid security (see complete bid for details)
- All bidders must submit a PC-2 form as required by the
Illinois Department of Human Rights.
A pre-bid meeting to discuss the project will be held on May 25, 2005 at 10:00 a.m. CDST in the Lunch Room at Plant and Service Operations, 210 Physical Plant Drive, Carbondale, IL. All prospective bidders are encouraged to attend.
(Submitted by Kevin Bame, State Purchasing Officer.)