University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Request for Professional Services Qualifications (QBS):
Air Traffic Control Tower
This project has been put on hold by the FAA.
Friday March 25, 2005
The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois hereby requests qualifications from professional services consultants to provide professional services in connection with the above project on the Urbana-Champaign campus:
Description of Project
The University of Illinois seeks qualifications from architects/engineers to assist in the design and development of a new air traffic control tower for Willard Airport, located near Savoy, south of the Urbana-Champaign campus. The new control tower will replace an existing control tower at Willard. It is anticipated that the new tower will have a footprint of approximately 8,400 g.s.f.
The anticipated scope of services includes the design of the control tower and associated base building, as well as related site development. The successful consultant will be expected to provide full architectural/engineering design services, including the preparation of construction documents for the construction of the tower and base building, to provide assistance in the development of equipment and maintenance plans, and to provide observation services during construction.
Design documentation and cost estimating will be generated according to F.A.A. requirements, and the F.A.A. will have direct involvement in the evolution of the project, including participation in incremental document review. The architect/engineer-led consultant team will, therefore, be expected to demonstrate prior experience with Federal Aviation Administration (F.A.A.) rules and regulations, as well as prior experience in the design of similar air traffic control towers.
All potential consultants associated with the proposed architect/engineer-led team should be identified at the time of submittal. Other projects, including those unrelated to air traffic control towers, may be submitted as a means of demonstrating the overall design capabilities of the team.
Project Budget: $12,300,000
Construction Budget: $10,400,000
Professional Services Consultant Submittal
Firms should submit five hard copies and one electronic copy of a CDB SF 255 form (section 8 should be modified to include additional information of relevant projects). Electronic copy shall be submitted (in pdf format), using the following URL to complete and submit the form:
Hard copies, once completed, shall be submitted to the address noted below (This form may be found on the CDB website at:
Edward J. Scopel
Associate Campus Architect
University of Illinois
1501 South Oak Street
Champaign, Illinois 61820
E-mail inquiries to: email@example.com
The Professional Services Consultant selection will be consistent with the Architectural, Engineering, and Land Surveying Qualifications Based Selection Act (30 ILCS 535/1).
The deadline for receipt of both hard and electronic submittals is 4 p.m., Friday, April 15, 2005.
The project will be administered using PRZM, the owner's web-based project management system. PRZM was developed to maximize the potential of the Internet in allowing project team members to access and exchange project information. PRZM supports team collaboration in management and interaction, as well as a team member empowerment on a multi-layer security system.
Minimum PRZM user requirements are as follows:
The following project-related criteria will be used to evaluate the firms requesting consideration for selection:
- Personal Computer: Microprocessor speed of 100mhz or higher, 32Mb RAM, and a monitor capable of at least 800 x 600 pixel resolution
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0 or higher is recommended
- E-mail: PRZM requires the user to have a valid e-mail account
- Software: At various stages of PRZM, users will be required to attach their documents to PRZM
- Computer-Aided Drawing (CAD) viewer
- Demonstrated, prior experience with Federal Aviation Administration rules, regulations, and guidelines
- Prior experience in the design of air traffic control towers of similar type and complexity
- Prior experience in the design of facilities where the Federal Aviation Administration is a participant in the design process
- Experience with University and other institutional clients
- Overall experience of the proposed Architect/Engineer-led consultant team
- Overall design quality of projects submitted
Qualifications and supporting materials will be accepted at the address below until
Friday April 15, 2005:
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
207 Henry Administration Building
506 South Wright Street
For additional information, contact:
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Only those firms that meet the following qualifications will be considered for selection:
- Licensed to practice as an architect/engineer in the State of Illinois
- Prequalified with the State of Illinois Capital Development Board
- Registered and authorized to do business in the State of Illinois
- Utilization of AutoCAD compatible system
(Submitted by Kathe Shinham, State Purchasing Officer.)
Selection will be consistent with the Architectural, Engineering, and Land Surveying Qualifications Based Selection Act (30 ILCS 535/1).